Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sic Transit Fantasy

The history of urban rail projections is a textbook case of repeated fraud upon the public. Knowing that Urban Rail is so cost-ineffective that voters would reject the projects if they were told the truth, the rail utopians dream up totally unrealistic ridership projections, which are then sold to the uninformed public as fact.Then when ridership fails to come even close to those fantasy projections . . .  oops! Looks like taxpayers will just have to subsidize the shortfall.

The Seattle Sound Transit light rail system has been in operation for four years now. As you can see by the chart below, ridership is nowhere near the usage used by Sound Transit and used to justify the project. Oops. But as the old saying goes, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me over and over again, call me a Seattle voter."


No comments:

Post a Comment